Acquiring detailed and accurate history of The Parker Appliance Company
prior to 1938 has proven difficult. There seems to be conflicting accounts of the
first seven years of the company. The information we have provided has come from
several sources. Listed below are the sources we used to gather this information.
1. The Ohio Secretary of State Archives.
2. The History of Cleveland website.
3. Funding Universe.
5. “The Making of a City”, by William Ganson Rose.
1917 Five men file papers with The State of Ohio to form The Parker Appliance
Company, Entity #46065 dated March 13, 1917.
J L Vaughn
Brennan B. West
R H Parker (Robert Parker)
W T Mallo
A L Parker
The registered business address at that time was 1115 Schofield Bldg., Cleveland.
The Schofield building was a 14 story business complex. According to the Articles
of Incorporation document A130_977, the purpose of the corporation was manufacturing
and dealing in both whole sale and retail automobile parts and accessories.
1918 Articles of Incorporation amendments after 1917 show A.L. Parker as
President and J.L. Vaughn as secretary.
1918 Arthur L. Parker promotes The Parker Appliance Company, his product
is a Pneumatic Brake Booster for trucks & buses.
1919 Arthur L. Parker’s truck, with complete inventory, rolls off a cliff.
He loses everything and cannot start his business again until 1924.
Version 1 story - Truck rolls off a cliff due to a blown tire.
Version 2 story - Truck rolls off a cliff after hitting a patch of ice in PA.
Version 3 story - Truck rolls off a cliff when his Pneumatic Brake system
fails while on a test drive.
Sources: Parker Hannifin website, Funding Universe website, History of Cleveland
During the years of 1920 to 1924 Arthur L Parker was employed as an Engineer by his
1924 Arthur Parker starts business again. Many patents for tube fittings
and related items during the 1930’s. Earliest know patent is #1,619,755A.
1924 The Ohio Secretary of State declares The Parker Appliance Company Entity
#46065 as a dead corporation on Feb. 15th 1924.
Arthur Larue Parker starts The Parker Appliance Company the second
time on Oct. 31, 1924 at 10320 Berea Rd. in Cleveland.
Reference: “The Making of a City”, by William Ganson Rose.
1935 Parker Appliance Company moves to 17325 Euclid Ave., Cleveland Ohio.
1938 Parker Appliance Company becomes a public company.
1938 The Parker Appliance Company incorporates again on Dec. 30, 1938, Entity
Listed on Articles of Incorporation documents are:
Earl P. Schneider
Walter Gaetjens JR.
1940 Amended Articles of Incorporation show A.L. Parker as president and
A.L. Bigelow as secretary. WWII Parker Appliance Company has over 5000
employees, after the war they have 200.
1945 Arthur Parker dies.
1951 Parker Appliance Company purchases Eaton Screw Products.
The companies merge in 1956.
1957 Acquisition of Hannifin Company. Products were cylinders and valves.
1970’s 55 series products (swage couplings).
1980 Introduced first crimp style fittings for 100R1 & R2 hose (43 series).